How much do you know about the senior population in the U.S.? The U.S. Census Bureau knows plenty! Test your knowledge of these facts about our older Americans:
1. How many people in the U.S. are age 65 or older?
a. 28.1 million
b. 35.5 million
c. 46.2 million
d. 73.7 million
2. By the year 2060, how many people in America will be older than 65?
a. 44.3 million
b. 79.3 million
c. 98.2 million
d. 106.3 million
3. During what year will people older than 65 outnumber people under 18?
4. As of 2015, which generation is the largest?
a. The Greatest Generation (born before 1928)
b. The Silent Generation (born 1928 – 1945)
c. Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964)
d. Generation X (born 1965-1980)
e. Millennials (born 1981-1997)
5. What state has the highest percentage of seniors?
6. Which state has the lowest percentage of seniors?
e. North Dakota
7. How many centenarians—people aged 100 and older—live in the U.S. today?
b. 18, 937
8. Which state has the highest percentage of centenarians?
b. North Dakota
9. What is the only county in the U.S. with a majority of residents older than 65?
a. Rock Island County, IL
b. Muskegon County, MI
c. Sumter County, FL
d. Miami County, OH
10. What percentage of people 65 and older are married?
a. 24.7 percent
b. 44.3 percent
c. 58.6 percent
d. 68.5 percent
Answers to “Seniors By the Numbers Quiz”:
1-c; 2-c; 3-a; 4-e; 5-b; 6-a; 7-d; 8-d; 9-c; 10-d
Source: IlluminAge AgeWise; data from the U.S. Census Bureau as of May 29, 2015 and June 25, 2015.